Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Honey Mustard Chops with Fresh Apple Slaw


Print

I don't know why, but I feel like I always have the darndest time coming up with creative ways to prepare pork, specifically, pork chops. Now there is always the traditional so-called "Betty Crocker" method of breading them and serving them with applesauce, because after all, who doesn't like pork chops and applesauce?! But breading them is just messy and fattening and it doesn't really appeal to me anymore.

One thing I love with pork is mustard - not the yellow kind you'd put on your hot dog but a Dijon mustard or spicy mustard or even a grainy mustard of some sort. And what doesn't pair well with mustard other than honey?! You're probably thinking by now, then why don't you use honey mustard?! I'll tell you why. It's not the same. Pure and simple - it's definitely not the same. I like honey mustard, but I like making my own version, again, because I can control the ingredients and alter the flavors to my liking. It's really a brilliant idea to take advantage of when you're cooking! You should try it!

Recently, a fellow foodie/blogger, things alauna makes, came up with a dish that grabbed my attention - so much that I put it on the menu for this week! It was a pork chop dish utilizing my favorite pork ingredients: mustard, honey and apples. I tweaked it a little bit to my liking, but I've gotta tell you that this adaptation has got to be the best version of pork chops I have ever had! The flavors were perfect and for the first time in my life, I can honestly say that I cooked a pork chop to perfection! I'm not trying to brag or anything, but pork is hard for me to cook. It always makes me nervous that it's not done and then I end up over-cooking it, making it tough and chewy. Not this time. This time, it was juicy and tender and it wore the flavors of honey and mustard so well. Sitting on top of a bed of apple slaw, each bite was perfection! You got the juiciness of the steak with the flavors of the honey mustard sauce, the crunch of the slaw and the tanginess of the dressing all rolled into one. Every bite left my mouth yearning for the next...it was unbelievable! Thanks Alauna for this wonderful version of pork!

Honey Mustard Chops with Fresh Apple Slaw

Ingredients
1 Lg. Granny Smith Apple, sliced into matchstick size
1 Sm. Red Cabbage head, shredded
7 Scallions, cut into 1" pieces
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Cider Vinegar
4 Boneless Pork Loin Chops
Salt
Pepper
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Honey

Directions
In a medium bowl, add the cabbage, apple and scallions. Mix in lemon juice and toss to coat. Add in 2 Tbsp. olive oil and vinegar; toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat remaining olive oil over med-high heat. Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper to taste; carefully add to skillet. Cook for approximately 8 minutes on each side and remove pork chops from pan, allowing to rest.

Pour chicken stock into the pan and using a whisk, begin to scrape bits of pork left on the pan, mixing into the stock until well combined. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Add in mustard and honey; stir to combine. Cook on low until heated through (about 3-5 minutes). Add pork back into the pan and let re-heat in the sauce (about 3 minutes).

Serve immediately over apple slaw.

Yield: 4 Servings
Source: Adapted from things alauna makes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice