Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mongolian Beef


Print


Chinese is definitely my most favorite style of take-out, which is probably what you'll see the most of in my Fake-Out Take-Out meals! One thing you may not know about me is that I am super indecisive when it comes to food. I can make decisions all day long about a lot of things, but if food is involved, be prepared to wait a while. A loooong while. I haven't quite put my finger on why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that I love food so much! I'm serious. I think it's because I want to try everything on the menu and being stuck with having to pick just one item to order makes me indecisive. You see, I am that girl who will order something and then decide that I want what someone else is having! I'm also that girl who will "try" things off of everyone else's plates (only of those who I'm close with, of course) just so I can get a taste of everything else that I didn't order!

So, it would come as no surprise that I am quite indecisive when ordering Chinese take-out as well! Trying to decide between General Tso's Chicken, Combination Lo-Mein, Mongolian Beef or Moo Shu Pork drives me (and not to mention everyone else) crazy! But, this past Friday, I was able to set aside my differences with food indecisiveness and I made one of my all-time favorites: Mongolian Beef! It was sweet and spicy and tender and it was darn good!!!

Mongolian Beef

Ingredients
1 lb. Stir-Fry Beef or Flank Steak
1/2 cup Corn Starch
5 Tsp. Vegetable Oil, divided
1/2 Tsp. Ginger, grated
1 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
6 Green Onions, sliced thinly
2 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds

Directions
Pat meat dry with a paper towel and add to a medium bowl.  Add corn starch to meat and toss to coat (ensure that each piece is coated to cook properly).

In a large wok or skillet, heat 1 1/2 Tsp. of oil over med-high heat.  Add the garlic and ginger, stirring until fragrant.  Add in the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.  Cook until combined (approximately 2 minutes).  Transfer sauce to a bowl.  - The red pepper flakes add quite a bit of heat to this dish, so use sparingly or omit if you do not prefer spicy food.

Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over high and add the beef.  Cook until browned on all sides.  Pour the sauce back into the pan and cook until it thickens to your desired consistency (approximately 3-5 minutes).  Add in 5 of the green onions, stir, and remove from heat.  Serve over rice and top with remaining green onions and sesame seeds.

Yields: 4 Servings
Source: Adapted from Pink Bites












0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice