Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mexican Fried Corn


Print

In honor of Cinco de Mayo yesterday, as you may or may not recall, I made these delightful Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.  In addition to the enchiladas, I had both corn and black beans at my fingertips and decided to turn them into Fiesta Black Beans (which I'll post about tomorrow) and Mexican Fried Corn, another favorite of Chris'.

The last time I made this corn, was back when I made these Stuffed Poblano Peppers and I can't believe I haven't made it again since!  I knew I had corn to use and I wanted to do black beans.  I had contemplated making my "fall-back" side dish, Spanish Rice, but I felt like it would be too heavy with the enchiladas so I wanted something lighter and I wanted to someway incorporate a vegetable into the meal so both of these sides worked perfectly! 

My inspiration for this actually came quite a while back when I stumbled upon a recipe on delish for Fried Corn last year. While it's really not fried, it surely looked very appetizing and while my mind is constantly working on trying to adapt or re-invent recipes, the light went off - Mexican Fried Corn! I took her version of the dish and altered it to complement the flavors of the Mexican food we ate.

This corn is super easy to make and it's a nice alternative to the regular side dishes we normally eat.  The blend of sweetness from the corn, creaminess from the butter and milk and the savory flavor coming in from the cumin was a wonderful accompaniment to this meal and balanced it out just perfectly!

Mexican Fried Corn

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 small Onion, diced
3 cups Corn
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 Tsp. Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Directions
In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter over med-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in corn, remaining butter and milk; cook until heated through and corn becomes creamy. Add cilantro, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 Servings
Source: Adapted from delish

1 comments:

ashley on May 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM said...

ohhh cilantro and cumin... good idea! when I make it mexican style, i basically just add in some minced jalapeno! :-)

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice