Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Kickin' Chili


Print

I'm not a big soup or stew person and I usually only prefer it during the Fall and Winter months. I don't really consider that weird because I think most people feel the same way; however I do know some who could eat soup everyday throughout the entire year! One thing that I probably could eat all year long is Chili. Call me weird, but I love it and it's so easy to make. Now I normally don't make it during the Spring/Summer months (unless it's a really cold day) but sometimes there is the unusual occasion.

Yesterday was the last day of February and while we had decent weather most of the weekend, it was still a little cool. Now I know that, technically speaking, Spring doesn't start until later in March but in my mind and in my world, yesterday marked the last day of Winter for me! So in honor of the cold season, what better way to give it a proper sendoff than to make a big pot of Chili?! Plus, Chris was sick all weekend and it was a personal request of his!

This recipe is one of my own and I must say, it's definitely a keeper! I'm not one for bragging much, but I am pretty particular about my Chili and this recipe hits all the right spots and has never let me down when I've made it for others. But if you've been following me long enough and have made some of my recipes, you know that I like a little heat in my dishes and Chili is no exception to that rule! Luckily for you, if you don't like spice or heat (or a lot of it for that matter), this recipe is easy to adapt to your taste buds! Either way, the combination of flavors that burst in your mouth every time you take a bite, will leave you yearning for more!

Kickin' Chili

Ingredients
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Garlic Salt
3 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Lg. Onion, chopped roughly
2 Jalapenos, seeded and diced
5 cloves Garlic, minced
2 - 7oz. cans Diced Green Chiles
1 - 16oz. can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 - 16oz. can Light Red Kidney Beans, drained
2 - 14.5oz. cans Diced Tomatoes
1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
1 - 46 oz. bottle Spicy Hot V8 Juice

Directions
In a large pot, brown the beef over med-high heat until tender; drain grease and return pot back to the stove. Add in black pepper, garlic salt and cumin; mix well to combine. Add in onion, jalapenos and garlic; cook until onions and jalapenos become tender, stirring frequently to prevent burning of garlic. Stir in the green chiles followed by the beans. Add in the tomatoes (with their juice) and cilantro; stir until everything is combined together. Slowly begin pouring in V8 juice to desired consistency. Let simmer over low heat until heated through (approximately 30-60 minutes).

Serve hot with sour cream, shredded cheese and diced avocado.

Note: To alter dish to a less spicy version, reduce (or omit) the amount of jalapenos used and/or use regular V8 juice or tomato juice in place of the spicy hot version.

Yield: 6-8 Servings
Source: With a Cherry on Top

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice